Sunday, May 20, 2007

WHAT’S IN A NAME?

One of the most popular characters ever to dawn the Indian television screen “JASSI’ had once remarked that “How strange it is that the one name by which we will be known all our lives is actually not chosen by us but given to us?”

The writers by making such a statement had meant to give the viewers an insight into this complicated character, it can be inferred that she was extremely BORING but at the same thing looked beyond the fundamental meanings of things thus making her interesting at the same time. But this writer choose to ignore both of the above points (partly because I was not a follower of that show) and instead zeroed in the debate as to whether a person’s name single handedly defines his existence and differentiates him from others or is it just a form of nomenclature and nothing more.

Not able to make much headway into these two contradicting statements I decided to venture into more familiar territory, my own name.
Yes my name, for those who don’t know it its’ BIDU PRAKASH DAS.

Now I agree it isn’t a regular name so it might qualify as a strange one also.
Many times during the beginning of our semester when the teacher reads out the roll list invariably when my name shows up they all will-pause for a second, take a deeper look, raise their eyebrow and then pronounce it, but never correctly. Bidu gets twisted to beedu,bedo or even bibhu…talk about tongue twisters.
Even some of my closest friends find my name funny and manipulate in according to their own terms to suit their requirements (read tease me to death).
Introduction to a total stranger also lands me in a spot purely because of my name…
”What was your name again…Bikram, Bijay?”
I reply in vain “Bidu”
“What did you say…b-ee-du…ok”
Sometimes it really gets on my nerve, correcting people each and every time they pronounce your name is laborious to say the least and it is also embarrassing, so when I realize I can’t win I just let it be and swallow the bitter pill.

So it sometimes makes me complain “Mom dad couldn’t you think of a better name?”
My mom being as cunning as she is promptly replies” anything for my son’s happiness. Let us go to the court tomorrow itself an file an affidavit to change your name to whatever you want.”
Being cornered and out of moves I accept my defeat and reply, “Fine no need for that I will live with it.”I tell you my Mom….

READ ON...the next post is a continuation of this one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.